Postdoctoral Fellow - Soil Fertility Management Job
at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - IITA in Oyo State | Posted under Research & Statistics Jobs
Location: IITA Ibadan, Nigeria
Organisation: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - IITA
IITA is seeking to fill the position of Postdoctoral Fellow - Soil Fertility Management in the context of a project on ‘Achieving development impact and environmental sustainability through intensification of pro-poor cropping systems based on cassava, yams and legumes, operating in Nigeria, Benin, DR Congo, Rwanda, and Kenya, in the context of the Humidtropics CGIAR Research Program.
The proposed project will (i) conduct R4D in mixed, inter-cropping and rotational cassava, yam and grain legume cropping systems in order to improve crop productivity in addition to maintaining biological and ecological integrity of natural resources and (ii) support (a) processing of the above crops as part of value addition for increased household incomes, and (b) utilization of the crops from these production systems through establishment of market linkages. The project will be implemented in collaboration with national institutes, NGOs, private sector, extension services and farmers in the target countries and will help to strengthen their mutual capacity to conduct participatory research. The project will deliver the following outcomes: (i) documentation of dual purpose legumes, cassava and yam production and utilization in the targeted countries; (ii) increased awareness of targeted smallholders of possible socio-economic and nutritional benefits of these crops; (iii) create expertise in the target countries on the production and use of the above technologies and practices, (iv) effective and profitable value chains for the target crops, (v) an improved crop production environment. The overall benefit of the proposed research will be the adoption by farmers of higher yielding and more sustainable cropping systems.
The Postdoctoral Fellow - Soil Fertility Management will report to the Director for West Africa and the Director for NRM. He/she will be responsible for delivering the project milestones in Nigeria and Benin, under direct supervision of the Root and Tuber Agronomist, based in Ibadan, Nigeria, and the Project Leader, based in Bukavu, DR Congo. More specifically, he/she will:
• Lead the planning of research activities in Nigeria and Benin.
• Lead the implementation of the various activities planned for Nigeria and Benin.
• Liaise with partners within the cooperating national agricultural research systems to ensure all activities are implemented with the highest rigor and quality.
• Supervise MSc trainees engaged in the context of the project.
• Assist the Project Leader in ensuring a timely dispatch of the necessary resources to all partners.
• Assist the Project Leader in monitoring project expenses against available budgets.
• Prepare consolidated technical progress reports for Nigeria and Benin to be forwarded to the Project Leader.
• Write scientific papers for submission in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
• Participate in and contribute to NRM meetings.
• Represent the project in meetings and conferences.
• Be an advocate to broaden project donor base, including linkages with other projects.
• Contribute to the Humidtropics and Soils and ecosystems CGIAR Research Programs.
Educational Qualifications: PhD in tropical soil fertility management or related field, with demonstrated working experience in Africa.
• Demonstrated publishing skills in top quality scientific journals.
• Practical experience with soil science and soil fertility-related tools and approaches.
• Practical experience of working with national research systems in Africa.
• Working experience in Advanced Research Institutes.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to motivate students and support staff to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
• Team player with personality traits that enable him/her to motivate and communicate with all levels of the professional and support staff.
• Self-starting, energetic working style, with an ability to work effectively with little day-to-day direction or supervision.
• Reputation of integrity, high intelligence, creativity and the ability to exercise good judgment.
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to establish rapport and credibility with people at all organizational levels, forming strong relationships, both internally and externally.
• Committed to transparency and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
• Fluent in English. Working knowledge of French would be a strong advantage.
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in working with the organisation and your skills and capabilities match the job profile, submit your application now.
Visit: Job Application Portal
Deadline: 30 June 2012.
Remember to mention JobNAVY.com when contacting employers! Do not pay for recruitment. Report such case at Scam Alert Forum.
Recent Jobs at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - IITA